FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome To The BoLo Yeung Fan Forum

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inBoLo-Yeung.com

BEY LOGAN interview

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

BEY LOGAN interview Empty
PostSubject: BEY LOGAN interview   BEY LOGAN interview Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 6:15 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Bey Logan is a respected expert on East Asian cinema, particularly Hong Kong action cinema. He is also notable as a screenwriter, film producer and as a martial artist (trained in Hung Gar) who has had (mostly minor) roles in a number of films, including the 2003 Dante Lam film The Twins Effect. He has written two books - Hong Kong
Action Cinema, an introduction to the subject, and a book about
Jean-Claude Van Damme. Logan was a founder and editor of Impact
magazine, and has provided audio commentaries for over 100 East Asian
films released on DVD.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hello Bey, can you relate your martial arts background and the styles you learnt?

Over the years, I've had experience of many different martial arts styles, including Lau Gar, Hap Kune Do, Taekwondo, Wing Chun, Muay Thai, Chen Tai Chi and Jeet Kune Do. In recent years, I've focussed on Hung Kuen AKA Hung Gar a Southern Chinese kung fu style. I train with my teacher, Sifu Mak Chi Chi-kong, most days of the week, down at the Hong Kong docks with a few more die hard kung fu devotees

You're an expert on Asian cinema. What is currently Hong Kong cinema in your opinion?

In recent years, the trend has moved away from action films. However, we just had a string of martial arts movies, including Wu Shu (worth watching for Sammo Hung's scenes), Champions (worth watching for my teacher Li Fai's scenes, and the kung fu in general), Legendary Assassin (a worthy directing debut for Wu Jing) and Donnie Yen's Ip Man, which is a great film. I think we can still deliver the goods, and hope to be involved with more actioners in 2009.

Do you like the classic Shaw Brothers films?

I love those films! My DVD room here at Castle Logan has a whole case devoted to them. My favourites, naturally, are the Lau Kar-leung Hung Kuen themed films, including 36th Chamber of Shaolin, Challenge of the Masters, Martial Club and Heroes of the East. I also love King Boxer (way ahead of its time and a hugely influential film), Clan Of The White Lotus (especially
the dubbed version), Killer Constable (great late era action drama) and my kids watch Super Inframan (the Shaw version of Ultraman) repeatedly. Shaws produced such a huge volume of films, and in all genres. I love trawling through them to find any overlooked classics.

What's the greatest screen fight in your opinion?

Hmmm. Lam Ching-ying VS Frankie Chan in Prodigal Son OR Gordon Liu VS Wang Lung-wei in Martial Club OR Donnie Yen VS monks and the evil nun in Iron Monkey OR Sammo Hung VS Lau Kar-wing in Odd Couple... The list is endless!

Can you tell us about your journalistic career. What inspires you?

I've kind of moved on from a journalistic career to work in films. What originally inspired me was my passion for movies and martial arts, and the desire to learn more about both, and share that knowledge as much as I could. That still motivates me today, but in the cinema medium. I do still write my blogs (as often as I can!) at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and at
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] so I'm not completely out of the game!

Do you think the advent of the special effects has diminished the real action in films?

I think martial arts and SFX can be blended well, as in the first Matrix movie, but, in recent years, the films went too far towards wires and CGI. Audiences realised this, and now the trend is back towards more realistic action, as you'll see in IpMan and Ong Bak 2. Effects are just another tool for the film-maker, and its down to them to use this resource well, or not!

Who are some of the directors or actors, that you would love to work with?

I've been lucky, in that I have worked with a lot of my idols and friends. I would love to work with Jackie Chan again, and with Donnie Yen, Maggie Q and, especially, Sammo Hung. Though we're good friends, I've never worked with Bolo Yeung, so that would be interesting.

Tell us about Bolo Yeung. How long do you know him?

I first met Bolo back in the 80s. The magazine company I worked with in the UK wanted to bring him over there to appear at a martial arts show. However, at that time, he didn't want to perform martial arts in public, and they wouldn't pay his asking price unless he did, so we couldn't cooperate at that time. I felt bad about it, as he was always an idol of mine, and hoped we would still have a chance to cooperate. After I moved to Hong Kong, a producer named Bernard Wong, who was also a friend of Bolo, hired me to write two scripts for films that would feature him. I'll always be grateful to Bernard, becausethat money allowed me to stay in Hong Kong. I had several very amicable meetings with Bolo at that time, but unfortunately the films were never made. After that, Bolo moved to LA and I stayed in Asia. I thought he had retired, and was asking producer Jalal Merhi (who made Tiger Claws with Bolo) what happened to him. He told me that they were still in touch, and that Bolo was living in Monterey Park, California. He passed on my number, and we got back in touch. I meet Bolo when he's in Hong Kong, and would love to do a new project with him. He's in great shape, and still has that same charisma. He's a very intelligent, well-read man, very different to what people might expect from his appearance. I'm proud to have him as a friend, and hope we can work together soon.

Have heard about the film called "Blizhniy Boy:The Ultimate Fighter"? Bolo's role is a trainer to the main fighter.

I have, though all I've seen is the trailer, which looks interesting. My friend David Carradine is also in the film. It seems that it was shot a long time ago, and yet still hasn't been released. I'll certainly watch it when it is.

You've worked many times with Jackie Chan. Can you tell us on your relationship with him?

Jackie and I are very friendly. I've been lucky enough to do several documentaries and films with him. As everyone knows, Jackie is one of the nicest and most hard-working guys in the industry. His attitude and work ethic are so good, it really spoils you for other actors. Our company, TWC, was involved with Forbidden Kingdom, and that was the last time we worked
together on a film. However, he has also done some interviews for our Dragon Dynasty, which I really appreciate. Given that he was one of the idols of my youth, I'm happy to say that he has never disappointed me.

Can you tell us about Dragon Dynasty?

Dragon Dynasty's aim is to take the best Asian action titles available, and bring them to the widest possible audience in the west. I'm very happy to be working with Brian White, who was such a key player in the earlier Hong Kong Legends. Its been a great experience so far, and we've learned a lot about the tastes of the mainstream North American market. The brand is going from strength to strength, and fans can look forward to some great 2009 releases, including Police Story 3 : Supercop, My Father Is A Hero and Empress and her Warriors.

What other genres you like?

Honestly, I like almost every genre of cinema, except maybe ultraviolent horror! I watch classic Westerns and older Hollywood films, I love the Japanese Zatoichi series. I enjoy catching classic films I haven't seen. I watched Rebel Without A Cause and Streetcar Named Desire for the first time just a couple of months ago! I love trawling the various stores in Hong Kong for obscure Asian and western titles. If you saw my DVD room, you'd think that five people lived in my apartment, that's how
eclectic my tastes are.

How is your dream project?

My children are my dream project! I have a few films I'd like to make and books I'd like to write. I don't think I should jinx them by mentioning them here!

What are your plans for the future?

To stay happy and healthy. To raise my children well. To continue to provide the best service I can to TWC and to the Asian film industry.

Would you have a final word for all the people all over the world who enjoyed watching martial arts/action movies and visited the website?

I want to thank our fans, who are all my friends!, for their support. I really enjoy the emails and other communications I receive from around the world. I try to answer as many as I can. If any of our supporters comes to Hong Kong, I'm always delighted to meet them. I'm also very happy that there is a dedicated website for my good friend Bolo Yeung.

Bey, thank you for your time and accepting the interview.

Its my pleasure! Thank you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bolo-yeung.com/

BEY LOGAN interview
Page 1 of 1